Instagram

Thursday 5 November 2015

NYC Day 6 and 7 (2014) | Birthday Meal at Buddakan, Stuffing our faces in Chinatown and Shopping in Soho


More than half way through our trip, and on the fifth day, we decided to spend the first half of the day wandering around Central Park, re-charging our batteries from the previous day’s activities. We certainly have been rushed off our feet for the past several days so it was nice to have a leisurely stroll around Central Park. Of course, the park is far too large to explore on foot, so I would recommend hiring out bicycles if you ever intend to visit.

After soaking up the sun and enjoying a refreshing Popsicles, we headed over to Fifth Avenue to browse the boutiques and luxurious stores before making our way over to the legendary FAO Schwarz toy shop. We took time out to visit this place before it closed its final chapters to the public.  By the way of solace, I had to hug the over sized bears and take pictures of the guardsman at the front entrance! And who could forget that classic 1988 movie ‘Big’ Tom hanks famously played the big piano with his feet – for nostalgic reasons, we had to visit this famous toy shop.

In the evening, and as it was my birthday, Kev took me to a place he knew that I would love!  Knowing I am a major fan of SATC, he reserved us a table at ‘Buddakan’, which is the place where Carrie & Big held their engagement dinner party!  The restaurant is located in Chelsea and it is a large and  lavish restaurant with oriental inspired decor. The menu features fanciful interpretations of Chinese dishes. The main floor is very impressive, it is stunning room with high ceilings with large candle chandeliers - completely oozes grandeur! Perfect for any special occasion.  Kev had even prearranged with the Chefs prior to our visit to have my Chinese name to be written in chocolate on my dessert place – such a nice and thoughtful touch!

After dinner, we headed over to the High Lines, near the Meatpacking District.  The High Lines is dis-used railway lines elevated from above the streets of Manhattan’s West Side which is now transformed into a public park.  It is completely landscaped and offers visitors  a mini break from the hustle and bustle. It was nice to see an historical landmark now converted into a public space for enjoyment.  We pondered around before settling on a quiet lounge area and I even took a brief nap! (must have been food coma!)

The following day, we headed to Chinatown to sample baked desserts, dumplings and of course, dim sum.  We tried out the 'Nom Wah Tea Parlour' located on Doyers Street. It is an old establishment and has been opened since 1920.   The place has a very vintage feel to it, almost as though that is what it would have felt like to be there is the mid-century.

After suitably being watered and fed, we took the subway to Soho.  I was on a mission to purchase a bag that I have been wanting for such a long time and held off from getting my hands on it until I was in New York - mainly because I knew it was cheaper buying it here than the UK, and also because I knew that every time I use it, it would remind me of our time in NYC.  The bag in question is the coveted Phillip Lim Pashli Bag!  I was in two minds whether to go for the mini or the medium satchel, so with not a lot of persuading, my husband twisted my arm and before I knew it, he had treated me with 2 new additions to my handbag family. Love him!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Please show some love by commenting! ;) I'd love to hear your thoughts ♥♥